Before treating toenail fungus at home, it is necessary to determine the form and stage of the disease. With superficial onychomycosis, compresses and lotions are used. However, if the nail fold is involved in an inflammation, foot baths are carried out. To prevent the reproduction of fungi and pathogenic bacteria, herbs and antiseptic products are added to home remedies.
How to recognize an infection
Onychomycosis is a fungal infection of the cornea of the fingers. Clinical symptoms depend on the cause of the disease, the type of pathogen. Infection of the nails with a fungus is indicated by:
- White dots;
- free edge delamination;
- surface roughness.
At a late stage of the disease, the subungual and periungual spaces are affected. The skin acquires a red tint, becomes thinner, peels off, swells. Onychomycosis is associated with a bacterial infection. This is indicated by suppuration around the thumbnail.
How to treat nail fungus at home with folk methods
An acidic environment and high humidity are ideal conditions for the growth of the fungus. Therefore, onychomycosis is more common in people who neglect hygiene and suffer from hyperhidrosis. To eliminate the fungal flora, folk remedies are used, which have the following properties:
In the early stages, the fungus is easy to treat. Treatment with alternative medicine lasts from 1 to 6 months.
Onychomycosis is treated until healthy nails grow back. With advanced fungus, therapy lasts from 6 to 12 months.
You can quickly cure the fungus with tar at home. It contains toluene and xylene, which have antiparasitic and antiseptic effects. But in order to destroy the fungal flora, you need to use the remedy correctly:
- Feet float in the water for 15 minutes;
- the softened nail layer is scraped off with a scraper;
- Tar is applied to it for 30-40 minutes.
The affected area is treated with tar three times a day, and after the disappearance of the symptoms of onychomycosis - once 15 minutes before bedtime.
Eucalyptus will help get rid of nail fungus in a couple of months. The plant has disinfecting, softening and deodorizing properties. Eucalyptus ointment shows the greatest effectiveness against the fungus:
- Mix 5 ml of vinegar and melted honey;
- add 5-7 drops of eucalyptus extract;
- Leave in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
The finished ointment is applied to the fingers and damaged nail plates up to 5 times a day.
It is not recommended to use eucalyptus ointment if there are purulent foci of inflammation, cracks or open wounds on the legs.
Golden Mustache Tincture
Fragrant Callisia contains flavonoids and phytosterols that help get rid of the fungus on the legs in 2-3 weeks. The preparation of the tincture is simple:
- 1 glass of crushed plant pour 200 ml of vodka;
- Insist 2-3 weeks in the fridge.
Tincture wipe the nails at least 5 times a day. With redness of the nail roller, lotions are made three times a day for 15-20 minutes.
Peppermint and salt lotions are an easy way to treat toenail fungus. The tool destroys not only mycotic, but also bacterial infections. It is used to treat onychomycosis and prevent purulent complications.
Prescription for an antifungal:
- 1 teaspoon is dissolved in 200 ml of water. Sea-salt;
- add 10 ml of juice from mint leaves;
- Gauze is moistened in the solution;
- applied to the interdigital area and nails.
To get rid of the infection, you need to make lotions at least twice a day. If there is no improvement, the procedure is performed more frequently.
lilac flower tincture
The tool has an antiparasitic and healing effect. To get rid of onychomycosis on the legs you will need:
- put in a glass 2 tbsp. l. Flower;
- pour 150 ml of vodka;
- insist in a dark place for 3 weeks;
- Treat the affected areas with tincture three times a day.
With increased sweating of the legs, it is recommended to wipe the interdigital area with tincture at least 2 times a day.
If you have onychomycosis, you can fight kombucha compresses. They soften the nail plate, which makes it easier to remove layers with a fungal infection.
Setting the compress:
- Kombucha slabs are applied to the fingers in the nail area;
- wrap the feet with polyethylene;
- fix the compress with a bandage;
- put on wool socks;
- leave the compress overnight.
After waking up, the feet are washed with water, and the nail plates are treated with iodine or ammonia.
Kombucha is suitable for treating athlete's foot, rubromycosis and other types of athlete's foot.
Poplar Bud Tincture
Poplar buds contain essential oils, salicylic acid and flavonoids that destroy the fungus in the calluses of the fingers. In the fight against onychomycosis, they are used in the form of tincture:
- ½ part of a glass with kidneys is poured into 150 ml of vodka;
- insist 2 weeks in a dark place;
- Wipe the affected area with liquid three times a day.
The fungus on the horny plates rarely occurs in isolation. To remove all lesions on the legs, make lotions with tincture 2-3 times a day for 25-30 minutes.
Vinegar against onychomycosis
Vinegar can cure fungus on the nails and on the skin - on the feet or in the area between the fingers. Antiseptic baths have a high penetrating ability:
- ½ l of vinegar is heated on fire and poured into a basin;
- feet are immersed in the liquid for 15 minutes;
- dry the skin with a towel;
- put on warm socks.
After steaming, the vinegar is not washed off. The procedure is performed every other day before bedtime. This method of treating fungus is used only if there are no cracks and ulcers on the skin.
Fast treatment with sour cream with gunpowder
A mixture of smokeless powder and sour cream helps get rid of toenail fungus in 2-3 weeks. The tool has a complex effect - antifungal, antiseptic and healing. It is very easy to prepare and use:
- in 3 hoursl. thick sour cream add 1 tsp. smokeless powder;
- the mixture is abundantly lubricated with lesions;
- Wrap the feet with polyethylene and put on socks.
- Leave the product on all night.
After waking up, the rest of the mixture is washed off with warm water.
It is recommended to make applications for at least 14 consecutive days. With inflammation of the nail roller, 5 ml of sage broth is added to sour cream.
vinegar and potassium permanganate
Runny toenail fungus can be destroyed with a solution of potassium permanganate and apple cider vinegar:
- 1 liter of vinegar (9% solution) is poured into 3 liters of hot water;
- add potassium permanganate so that the liquid acquires a pink tint;
- In the solution, feet are steamed for at least 20 minutes before bedtime.
With onychomycosis with severely exfoliating nail, baths are carried out daily for at least 2 weeks. After the procedure, the flaking parts of the horny plates are carefully cut off.
Simple treatment: salt and soda
In order for the therapy of onychomycosis on the legs to be successful, an alkaline environment is created in the lesions. In it, the fungus does not multiply, as a result of which recovery occurs. To destroy the mycotic flora, the following remedy is used:
- in 2 liters of water dissolve 1 tbsp. l. soda and salt;
- legs are steamed in a heated solution for half an hour;
- Wash your feet with water and dry them with a towel.
After the bath, it is desirable to treat the affected area with hydrogen peroxide, iodine. Thyme or tea tree essential oils are applied to the interdigital zone.
Natural coffee contains organic acids, trace elements and vitamins. Baths with this drink not only inhibit the reproduction of the fungus, but also stimulate local immunity. If peeling zones appear on the big toe, and the nail plates are covered with white dots, use this remedy:
- 5 pcsl. Coffee is boiled in 1 liter of water;
- fingers are immersed in a liquid with a temperature of up to 50 ° C;
- after 10 minutes the skin is dry, but the coffee residues are not washed off.
Foot baths should be performed daily before bedtime. If the nail roller swells, applications are made with coffee grounds.
The minimum course of therapy for onychomycosis is 2 months. Interruption of treatment is dangerous in case of recurrence of the fungus.
Effective remedy for nail fungus - tea tree oil
Melaleuca essential oil is a potent antifungal with wound healing properties. It can be applied as a compress or lotion. With extensive lesions, foot baths are used:
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon in 1 liter of hot water. salt and soda;
- add 5 ml of melted honey and 20 drops of tea tree extract;
- Legs soar for half an hour.
Dermatologists advise treating affected plaques with oil at least 5 times a day.
Often home treatment for toenail fungus is done with bee products. Propolis has a pronounced fungicidal and antiparasitic effect. To destroy the infection are used:
- Tincture. A piece of propolis is poured with vodka in a 1: 10 ratio. Leave in a cool place for 10-14 days. The remedy treats the affected area 3-4 times a day.
- water infusion. Crushed propolis is poured with water in a ratio of 1: 3. The liquid disinfects the lesions up to 5 times a day.
Alcohol tincture and water infusion are additionally used to combat mycosis of the legs. They are added to foot baths, solutions for compresses and lotions.
How to remove mushrooms with celandine
Celandine is a bactericidal and fungicidal agent. Destroys most fungi parasitizing on the legs. To get rid of the fungal flora you will need:
- grind fresh herbs in a meat grinder or blender;
- mix in equal parts with medicinal alcohol;
- Lubricate the lesions with a solution three times a day.
With swelling of the nail roller and subungual space, a decoction of sage or calendula should be added to the solution. They destroy pathogenic bacteria, accelerate skin scarring.
How to cure a fungus at home with iodine, peroxide and ammonia
Antiseptic from the pharmacy is the best remedy for toenail fungus. With the use of drugs, it is possible to quickly destroy the infection in the plaques. To eliminate the fungal flora are used:
- hydrogen peroxide. Peroxide is mixed in equal amounts with boiled water. In a heated liquid, the legs are steamed for half an hour. After the procedure, the outer layer of the nail is cleaned and treated with salicylic acid.
- Iodine. In 2 liters of warm water add 30 drops of the drug and 3 tsp. Sparkling water. The feet float in the liquid for 25-30 minutes. Foot baths with iodine should be done 4 times a day.
- Ammonia. Dilute 15 ml of ammonia in a glass of water. A cotton ball is moistened with the liquid and applied to the lesions for 7-8 hours. It is best to apply compresses at night.
To get rid of the fungus, feet are treated with antiseptics for at least 3 weeks in a row. For dehydrated skin, a hypoallergenic cream with a neutral pH is used.
How to prepare toenails for treatment
Proper preparation is key to effective treatment of onychomycosis of the legs. Taking a bath every night will speed up the shedding of damaged horny plates.
Stages of preparation:
- steaming. In 2 liters of hot water add 1 tbsp. l. soda and 1 tsp. iodine solution. Rise the legs for 20-30 minutes.
- Cleaning. The softened layer of the nail plates is removed with a scraper, a nail file.
- Dry. After the procedure, the skin of the legs is dried with a towel. After that, antifungal drugs are applied to the affected areas.
The recovery time is reduced by 2-3 times if the procedure is performed daily.
prevention of reinfection
Sufficient foot care prevents the fungus from multiplying again in the area between the toes, horn plates. To prevent onychomycosis from coming back, you should:
- wash your feet with laundry soap twice a day;
- Disinfect shoes with antiseptics at least every three days;
- wear socks made of breathable materials;
- Treat leg wounds with iodine or nitrofural.
A few weeks after the symptoms of the fungus on the legs have disappeared, you can not visit public pools and saunas. Timely treatment of chronic diseases reduces the risk of re-infection.